Welcome to Big Bear Bikes

Keeping you up to date all things biking in this amazing part of the country. There will be fun stuff (yey!), some serious stuff (boo!), some news, some pics and some random goings on in the world of Big Bear Bikes.

Wednesday 4 May 2011

Will Downhill Racing - BDS Round 2 – Moelfre – 10/04/2011


We arrived at Moelfre on the Friday night with enough time spare to walk the track and I found it to be very much the same as when I last rode here. This time though it had been made even better with some easier lines put behind the tape to make it more interesting and a berm put in place.  An old jump had also been removed increasing the flow of the top section. Saturday was great! The weather was boiling so out came the sun cream and tinted goggles for an epic day of hitting rocky drops and railing dusty berms with a great atmosphere to greet you at the bottom. There were also few lines on the course so I could really just focus on my speed and squeezing in every possible crank turn. Sunday brought great weather again, but in practice I ended up crashing on a rider who had fell off on a drop out of my view. Hands were shaken and apologies exchanged before I continued riding with a sore chest.  Unfortunately this pain, combined with the pressure of my one shot at nailing this race run, ended with me coming off and injuring my back. I was air lifted to hospital and diagnosed with a fractured vertebrae... gutted! I will race again for BDS Round 4 at Fort William and to compensate I plan on entering two NDH rounds. On the bright side though, at least I got a helicopter ride out of the experience!
Pictures and info from the event can be found at:      http://www.halobritishdownhillseries.com/homepage.html
Pictures of me and my race history/stats/ etc can be found at:     http://www.rootsandrain.co.uk/rider5610/william-hugill/photos


No comments:

Post a Comment